A little beginning for a big plan for a huge building: the Great Northern Bonded Warehouse, Derby
An ambitious new idea to restore and re-use the former Great Northern Bonded Warehouse in Derby is being explored with a Project Viability Grant from the AHF. The aim is to establish a classic vehicle skills, storage and traders’ hub in the large former goods warehouse in Derby, which occupies a prominent raised position on the western flank of the inner ring road. It has been vacant for over 20 years, steadily deteriorating, and now derelict. It was built in 1876 by Kirk and Randall of Sleaford as part of a huge goods complex served by Friargate station.
The ground floor will be home to a ‘skills suite’ with a training school offering apprenticeships and other shorter courses including skills training for enthusiasts. Specialist tenants will store and display their classic vehicles in high-security glass-fronted garages, creating a changing museum, visible from the restaurant on the top floor. There will also be a coffee shop, classic vehicle retail outlets, specialist artisan traders, a flexible gallery and rentable exhibitor space for product launches, VIP evenings, art displays, weddings or specialist fairs.
The AHF grant has been match funded with a Heritage Lottery Fund Resilient Heritage Grant to look at the options and identify the best route to realise these enterprising plans.
The Architectural Heritage Fund is a registered charity, working since 1976 to promote the conservation and sustainable re-use of historic buildings for the benefit of communities across the UK, particularly in economically disadvantaged areas. Its is the leading heritage social investor and the only specialist heritage lender operating in the UK. It provides advice, development grants and loans.
For press enquiries please contact Ollie Brodrick-Ward at the AHF at 020 7925 0199 / firstname.lastname@example.org