The Old Market House
Kilcooley Womens Centre
Old Market House to provide new home for social enterprise, creating a welcome community space
Built in 1780 as the Market House for the seaside town of Bangor, this centrally located building became the Court House and Assembly Rooms in the 1820s, and was altered in 1895 to form a National School. It subsequently became the Town Hall in 1933 and was opened by Viscount Craigavon, Prime Minister for Northern Ireland. The building was then converted into a public bank, which closed in May 2019, and is, therefore, in relatively good condition. However, most of its historic interior has been lost. A low, single-storey tower behind the parapet, topped by a cupola was also removed. The Market House has significance for the community, given its tangible links with the earliest development of the town, and it is important to local people that this historic asset remains publicly accessible.