Project Development Grant
£7,500 (2018), £15,000 (2019)
Commissioned by the Jedburgh Co-operative Society and completed in 1900, Category A-listed three-storey warehouse, Port House, is an early example of glass-curtain walling, displaying its cast-iron structure to let in daylight for the benefit of shoemakers and seamstresses working inside. With its functional, community-first design, Port House was a natural head office for the Co-operative Society, which for over a century served the Jedburgh community. But while the lower floors have continued to be occupied in recent decades, the upper floors have fallen from use and been added onto the Scottish Buildings at Risk Register. Since 2010, the Jedburgh Community Trust has been working to restore the building as a community resource centre.