Maenofferen Slate Mills
Slate Heritage International
Multi-use future for former slate mills
The twin slate mills on the Maenofferen level form part of a major slate quarry near the town of Blaenau Ffestiniog. The mills are Grade II*-listed: an exceptional survival of a largely unaltered slab mill built between 1870 and 1897. Originally water-powered, the mills were converted to electric power in 1906. For generations, they were a centre of employment and prosperity for the local community. Later in the 20th Century, the buildings were withdrawn from use and fell into disrepair.