The Architectural Heritage Fund (AHF) is delighted to have awarded Local Initiatives in New Galloway (LING) a Project Development Grant to support the renovation of New Galloway Town Hall. This is one of four awards made in Scotland in November, totalling £26,780, administered by AHF on behalf of Historic Environment Scotland.
New Galloway Town Hall has been at the centre of the town and civic life since the 17th century. It was rebuilt in Victorian times and stands on the High Street, an elegant white building with two halls, a tall clock tower and a functioning chiming clock. In 1837, the Town Hall partially served as a prison, part of which remains in the tower of the Category B-listed building.
Historically, the hall was the centre of both civic and social life. However, with the local authority less able to meet ongoing costs, management of the hall passed to LING in 2018.
Earlier this year, a successful Community Asset Transfer bid took place and ownership was formally transferred to the group. LING is now working to repair and improve the building: specific plans include installing a lift; improving energy efficiency; upgrading the toilet and heating facilities; repairing the roof; and rendering the external walls of the building. Once renovated, New Galloway Town Hall will remain a flexible set of spaces let out for community use.
The AHF has previously contributed to the cost of feasibility work and is currently supporting the cost of a part-time project officer to manage the capital works.