The Architectural Heritage Fund (AHF) is pleased to announce that it has awarded a Project Viability Grant to The Circle to advance plans to bring Baldovie House back to full community, training and enterprise use. This was one of four awards made in the first grants meeting of the year, where projects ranging geographically from Preston to Dundee were offered funding totalling £32,980.
Baldovie House is a two-storey former private home. The oldest parts of the Category C-listed building date back to 1734 and some historic features survive, including a panelled entrance porch, newel staircase with barley sugar cast-iron balusters, and coomb ceiling on the first floor. There is a single-storey 1970s extension to the side, which was once used by the community as a social club and function suite, and by the large adjacent Michelin Tyre Factory for meetings and events.
The Circle is a social enterprise which operates and rents flexible, affordable workspace in Dundee and Glasgow. It also supports businesses to make a difference to communities across Scotland, the UK, and globally by providing affordable consultancy and training. The AHF is currently funding another project led by The Circle at Dudhope Castle, which will provide training, workspaces and event facilities for other charities, social enterprises and community groups.
The Baldovie House project is a separate, complementary scheme – the building will be reopened as a community hub and education and training facility for the local and wider community. Additional plans include developing the building for community drop ins, IT provision, functions, and education sessions with local schools and businesses.
The Historic Environment Scotland-supported AHF grant will support the feasibility phase of the project, including a survey of Baldovie House and a public consultation, helping The Circle to develop longer-term plans for the site.