The Wool Store in Caledon, County Tyrone was constructed in 1823 for storage facilities for the Caledon Mill which was, like many mills an important employer for the local community. It is located in a Conservation Area and is currently under consideration for listing.
The building lay vacant from 1936 until the 1970’s when it was used for mushroom growing and has been vacant for the past 20 years. Now, the Caledon Regeneration Partnership, which has undertook the restoration of the Engine House opposite, wishes to convert it into a children’s nursery with a potential residential unit on the second floor suitable for letting or holiday accommodation.
The AHF’s grant of £3,000 will fund professional advice to examine the Wool Store and provide estimates for restoration. Like many projects at this stage of development, a viability appraisal of the proposed re-use of the building, based on a detailed market research, is essential to ensure long-term sustainability of the building and the grant will support this critical element too.
The Architectural Heritage Fund (AHF) is a registered charity, working since 1976 to promote the conservation and sustainable re-use of historic buildings for the benefit of communities across the UK, particularly in economically disadvantaged areas. We are the leading heritage social investor and the only specialist heritage lender operating in the UK. We provide advice, development grants and loans.
AHF grant-aid in Northern Ireland is only possible thanks to funding from Department of Communities for Northern Ireland and the Pilgrim Trust.
For press enquiries please contact Oliver Brodrick-Ward, on 020 79250199 / email@example.com