Community business offers a new stage in the life of old buildings
An AHF Project Viability Grant will help a local development trust explore options for bringing a disused 18th century coaching inn back into use for community businesses. The White House in Coupar Angus, Perth & Kinross, was an important staging post on the Edinburgh to Aberdeen stagecoach route and continued in use as a hostelry into the 21st century. It has been empty for over a decade and it is now in poor condition.
Forward Coupar Angus needs more space for its expanding activities in the town. Our grant will enable them to do further work testing the potential for the White House to provide a home for a range of new businesses and help them decide whether to acquire the property.
Other grant awards made in April and May 2016 are listed below:
Project Viability Grants:
• Wentworth Castle & Stainborough Park Heritage Trust for the Menagerie House, Wentworth Castle Estate, Barnsley, South Yorkshire (£2,975)
• Rare Trust for 52 Bold Street, Liverpool (£3,000)
• Hinton Martell Village Hall, Wimborne, Dorset (£2,286)
• Sussex Yacht Club for Southwick Clubhouse, West Sussex (£3,000)
Project Development Grants:
• Tyne & Wear Building Preservation Trust for St Hilda’s Colliery Headstock, South Shields, South Tyneside (£5,000)
• Bridport Area Development Trust for West Bay Methodist Chapel, Dorset (£2,480)