AHF supports community heritage projects across the UK
The Architectural Heritage Fund has recently made 11 new grant offers totalling £73,400 for community-led efforts to save historic buildings valued by local communities.
In Frizington near Whitehaven in west Cumbria, the North of England Civic Trust is working in partnership with a local social enterprise to develop a proposal for the reuse of the village’s former Council Chambers, which is featured on Copeland Borough Council’s list of Heritage at Risk. The plan is to create a new community resource providing much-needed access to employability training and support amongst other services. A Project Development Grant will help the Trust and its partner develop a bid to the Heritage Lottery Fund’s Heritage Enterprise programme.
A newly-established charity set up to save the former King’s Theatre in Kirkcaldy, Fife is the latest beneficiary of an AHF Project Viability Grant. Most recently known as the MGM cinema, the Category B-listed building is an important part of the streetscape in the town’s busy High Street. Built in local red sandstone, it was originally opened as the King’s Theatre in the Edwardian era and converted into a cinema in 1928. The cinema closed in 2000 and the building has been out of use ever since. It is now on the Buildings at Risk Register for Scotland. The new charity will use the funding to test whether this 2,000-seat venue can be brought to life once again for live music and theatre performances in conjunction with the development of the adjacent YWCA building.
Here is the full list of beneficiaries in the last quarter:
Project Development Grants
• Oban Communities Trust for Rockfield School, Oban, Argyll & Bute (£22,900)
• Govan Workspace Ltd. for Govan Old Parish Church, Glasgow (£5,000)
• North of England Civic Trust for Frizington Council Chambers, Cumbria (£10,000)
• Tyne & Wear BPT for St Hilda’s Colliery Headstock, South Shields (£3,900)
• Royal Hippodrome Theatre CIC for the Royal Hippodrome, Eastbourne, East Sussex (£5,000)
• Society of Antiquaries of London for Kelmscott Manor, Oxfordshire (£10,000)
Project Viability Grants
• Shetland Moving Image Archive for St Clement’s Hall, Lerwick (£3,000)
• Renfrew Development Trust for multiple buildings in Renfrew, Renfrewshire (£5,000)
• Clydesdale Amateur Rowing Club for the West Boathouse, Glasgow (£3,000)
• Derbyshire Historic Buildings Trust for South Wingfield Station (£2,600)
• King’s Theatre Kirkcaldy Ltd. for the King’s Theatre, Kirkcaldy, Fife (£3,000)